Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The man who had his periods....



The title might intrigue you, but please be patient. Let me first introduce the subject to you. Periods, that is menstruation. Obviously almost everyone knows what it is, even boys for you have sisters, friends and girlfriends who must be complaining about the pain at times. Unfortunately, though some may suffer from normal period pains, others are kneeling in their toilets, throwing up, having trouble breathing, fainting, feeling cold and hot and much more.



These symptoms could be the sign of Endometriosis. ( From Wikipedia : Endometriosis (from endo, "inside", and metra, "womb") is a medical condition in women in which endometrial cells are deposited in areas outside the uterine cavity. The uterine cavity is lined by endometrial cells, which are under the influence of female hormones. Endometrial cells deposited in areas outside the uterus (endometriosis) continue to be influenced by these hormonal changes and respond similarly as do those cells found inside the uterus. Symptoms often exacerbate in time with the menstrual cycle.)

Quite freaking nah? Sadly though, many doctors don't even diagnose it as such even if the symptoms re quite clear:

* nausea, vomiting, fainting, dizzy spells, vertigo or diarrhea—particularly just prior to or during the period or after
* frequent or constant menses flow
* chronic fatigue
* heavy or long uncontrollable menstrual periods with small or large blood clots
* some women may also suffer mood swings
* extreme pain in legs and thighs
* Back pain
* extreme pain from frequent ovarian cysts
* Pain from adhesion which may bind an ovary to the side of the pelvic wall, or they may extend between the bladder and the bowel,uterus, etc
* extreme pain with or without the presence of menses
* mild to severe constipation[citation needed]
* frequent uti's (urinary tract infections)
* urgent diarrhea
* difficulty carrying out normal day to day tasks
* incontinence
* anemia



I have been suffering from severe period pains about 2 years after I had them. It started out as normal (well it depends on how you describe normal, for me it's bearable...) pain. Then it started to get worse. I could not even take exams without a high dose of pain killers. It was like something was cutting it's way through your womb. Am sure most girls will agree with that.



I remember I even fainted once at the SOD and had to be rushed to the emergency. Now, there are things you can faint, but this I swear is a serious case. When I started to work, I had to go through it with pain killers but it was getting worse for instead of taking a 200mg pill I had to increase the dosage each time, till I reach the limit.

I remember a 1st January when my parents had to take me to the hospital and spent half the day waiting for me to be treated. The doctor even suggested I get treated with morphine. I freaked out and said no, coz though it would be under medical supervision, I did not want to depend on Morphine for the rest of my life. No way!



Now, back to my title...I was working in an Ad Agency. I was so excited about the whole agency concept, it's people whom I trusted (now I've learned my lessons) and most of all respected, especially the Managing Director. One day I had my periods at work. I had to get back home urgently before I started throwing up or so but the MD scheduled a meeting just that afternoon and he made a face which suggested I had to be there. That day I drank about 10 cups of boiling coffee, took some pills though I knew I'd react negatively to them afterward just to be part of the meeting and show my dedication.

Guess what? One day, the MD called me and told me many things about how I was the worse designer, that I was destroying his agency, that I was racist, making people feel uncomfortable etc..etc..etc..

What really disgusted me, was when he said that even he could hold his belly and cry out with pain, but he never did so. I was shocked, for I thought he was human enough to understand what I was going through. Then I thought about it...did he have his periods too? I was even about to ask him that, but then thought, oh my God! This man is so courageous! He had his periods, yet never complained the least bit! Grrr!!!! I so much despise him. He was plain mean and awfully disgusting. No wonder he never got married! Yes, It's mean to say that, but imagine he gets married and his wife suffers like me. He'll back home and say: "Where is my food? Why is the house dirty? Why didn't you do the dishes? Even I could hold my belly and cry in pain but I don't! You lazy woman!"

What I wish him is that he re-incarnates into a woman and God, please give him the sufferings I've been through so that he knows what he was really talking about. (It's very mean and bad to wish so, but I can never forget the deep pain I felt on that day. The mocking expression on his face, the tone of his voice nor the accusation that I was acting to get compassion.)

It's a shame that even today, 'modern' people think like trash.

pictures source: internet

16 comments:

Yashvin said...

wow that needs to be very painful... for the managing director.
So, this is the problem which you faced at work! Isn't that call some sort of discrimination or something? I am sure that a lawyer can advise you on this issue.

btw, he got everything wrong. I guess he will be amazed when he reads this post and sees your hand made banner for the bloggers' event ;)

I am sure that everyone here will curse him too, lets CURSE HIM!!! If you need support for shouting the injustice done, I am here to blog abt it too :D

Cheers! Good news landing soon hehe!

Dhaneesha said...

This man is really disgusting!!!!How mean!!!!

I also do hope that he gets the most severe pains that we girls endure each month! There are so much I want to tell that man but hopefully he is not in front of me :P

Nice post reena.

reena.dkl said...

@ Yashvin

Lol! I don't want anyone to curse him for we'll be no better than him, but just hope he realizes how mean he was, for I was not acting...

I still think that if I sue him i'll certainly win, but then what's the use? I believe in Karma...one day he will certainly reap his fruits, ripe or rotten..God knows...

But really, thnx for the support!!!

reena.dkl said...

@ Dhaneesha

Thnx for the comment dear!

We girls understand each other. I was actually more shocked than anything for I told him about my problem from the very beginning. Guess some people have peanuts instead of brain...and at the place of the heart I think they don't even have anything at all...

morinn said...

I'm undergoing the pain as I'm writing this. Got my menses yesterday.

I totally know how it feels to suffer from those pain. 2 months ago I had an exam just on the day that I got my menses. God! That was horrible. I had to go to the toilet every 30 minutes to avoid puking on the paper.

About that guy, he's a total bastard and I know the kind. My sister had one at her place of work too. He was an unmarried forty or something guy. Might be his frustration at not getting a woman's love, you know. So they start PMSing too and venting their frustration of girls.

reena.dkl said...

Oh I remember when I was in Lower6, I had French exams and was having it. God, I turned and toiled in my chair, had to submit the papers like one hour before the deadline.

This really is awful. Maybe we girls should all stick together and sue all those bastards out there who think they are superior to us.

Oh mind you, some women who have very little or no pain at all act the same. Just because they don't feel it, they think we are acting...

Ah!!! Life!

Thnx for the comments dear :)

Bruno said...

:o he cares only about profitability of the company ... he is an MD that's why

reena.dkl said...

@ Bruno

I was the most dedicated one working out there. I left my previous, higher paid job to join him. Even said I'd work free if need be coz I trusted him. Guess this is what you get in return...

moodyboo said...

I went through a similar experience with my ex-manager, minus the menstruation part. To cut a long story short, let's just say I was mortified by the backstabbing some people would do to further their own career.
Coming to the main topic of your blog, I've always suffered from menstrual pain since I came into puberty age. I had 2 miscarriages because of the complications I bear every month. I was wrongly diagnosed by one gyneco and was prescribed a womb scrape because my uterus lining is too thick. Luckily I went to the family gyneco - which I should've done initially - and I was told a womb scrape at this time is unnecessary and it's simply hormonal imbalance, which is another complication. I'm doing my best to 'regularize' my menstruations by following a strict diet. There are many sources on the net which can help you prevent or ease up the pain. I know regular consumption of cabbage helps for heavy clotting.

I no longer roll on the bathroom floor when that time of the month comes along.

I loathe it too when other women who don't suffer like we do scorn at us and make fun of the 'so-called' pain.

Anyway, I wish you all the luck and may God keep blessing you!

reena.dkl said...

@moodyboo:

oh the backstabbing part was present too...am so disgusted at how some people can lie and pretend that they are your friends, while they are saying all sorts of lies behind your back to the MD. I had these 3 people, one girl and 2 boys, who were always telling me that the MD was total shit and guess what? They go tell him that I said so...

Anyway! Thnx to them am better off today.

As for the pain, am so sorry about your miscarriages. I did not know that it could affect one's pregnancy. All I heard was that once you have a normal delivery your pain will go away. Am hoping on this...so much!

Concerning the diet, I know Michel's cousin who once sent me a few things to eat and some not to...Cereals are a total no. Meat, etc were to be avoided. As for the cabbage one, I never knew (especially since am not a huge cabbage fan! lol!). But maybe i'll try that just not to suffer like I do every month.

Thnx for the comments and tips :)

s4ndeep said...

didnt understand one thing.. the dude really had periods??? :S :S

and about this:
* some women may also suffer mood swings

I dont think its a 'may'. Its a 'will'.

Hmm... im happy im a guy.. really.

But then, u girls do have extra 'features' too..! Best wishes for the new blogger who's coming soon! XD

reena.dkl said...

@ s4ndeep

Lol! No it's irony (the man who had his period)
See, I was having mine and was in awful pain at work. He later told me that he could have 'acted' like me and say that his belly is aching and wasn't able to work...

Hope you understand what I mean...

Lol about the new blogger...thnx!

fadilnet said...

I read it and learnt a few things that I can use to PWN feminists.

I'm of the old school. I believe that women should stay @ home and engage in child bearing and household activities. Hence, my reason to not work with females. They are thick and are too moody. As a man, it is mentally taxing to have to bear the fits of your wife and having to do the same when it comes to female colleagues.

Don't take any offense.

I do understand that of your needs as a female and the above mentioned man was an a55hole!

Don't bother cursing him. It serves no use. Know that you're brilliant and you're better than a55hoes! Rock on!

Shah

reena.dkl said...

@ Shah

That's your opinion and I respect it...as a female :P

Avinash said...

For me, all these contests are really ridiculous. How can a bunch of people decide who is the most beautiful girl in Mauritius, the world?

Maybe they judge one lady to be the most beautiful in the world but to me, another lady maybe the most beautiful. It is all a question of judgement.

As a feminist I have to say this to all ladies:
"You are the most beautiful lady. Never let anyone judge your beauty as you are beautiful in many others ways few can see"

reena.dkl said...

@ Avinash:

I think you missed the post...

Thnx for the comment though